Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Yamduck


Just before Thanksgiving of last year while shopping at my local grocery store I spotted what appeared to be a sculpture of a duck among the large display of yams in the produce department. It was partially sticking out from under a huge pile of yams and it was difficult to retrieve it with out causing what might have been an embarrassing avalanche of tubers. Once I had it in my hand I realized this was not a sculpture but an actual yam that looked exactly like a duck.
 I could hardly believe my eyes. It was one of Mother Nature's little oddities. The produce manager walked by and I showed him my little treasure. He examined it and said he had never seen anything like it before (and this guy sees a lot of yams). He took out his pen and marked it "No Charge", and after showing it around to his co-workers, he handed it back to me with a wish for me to have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy my "Yamduck." I proudly showed it to everyone on the way out of the store. It was a big hit in the checkout line, in fact a crowd gathered to see it. As soon as I got it home I took pictures of it and emailed them to everyone I knew, including the Food Editor at our local newspaper. She asked if she could do an article on it and I eagerly agreed. The Yamduck had hit the big time with it's picture in the paper. It was a local "celebrity" overnight. My brother came up with the idea of trying to sell the Yamduck on Ebay. He thought that it might get on the Tonight Show's segment, "What We Found on Ebay". I thought it would be neat to possibly have him(Yamduck) on National TV so I said, "Why not?" As you can tell from the previous sentence, I was already beginning to refer to the Yamduck as a living breathing entity. I was becoming very attached. I listed him on Ebay, never in my wildest dreams thinking someone would bid on him...but they did. My heart sank. I was going to have to part with my little friend and send him to a stranger in Ohio. I guess, I knew all along that the relationship couldn't last forever as the Yamduck was starting to shrivel a little like most veggies do when they have been around too long. After a tearful goodbye, I packaged him up and reluctantly mailed him to his new owner. In a few days I received glowing feedback from Yamducks buyer telling me how thrilled he was to have Yamduck and thanking me profusely. I was able to enjoy Thanksgiving , knowing Yamduck had a good home. I couldn't bring myself to eat any sweet potatoes, however. When ever I see a display of yams my eyes scan automatically for a duck shaped one. I know that I will never find another like him again, but I am glad to have had the opportunity to know and love him. Even though his personality wasn't all that great..He was still cute. VXA©

No comments:

Post a Comment